Commercial garage doors can be a great asset to any business, but they’re also prone to problems. If you suspect that something is wrong with your commercial garage door and it’s not functioning properly then this article will help get it working again!
What Are The Common Commercial Garage Door Problems?
The most common commercial garage doors include:
- Damaged Torsion Spring: When commercial garage doors fail to open and close effectively, the culprit is usually a broken torsion spring. In most doors, the torsion spring is what provides lifting power, and when the breaks or snaps due to everyday use, the garage door may not open and close effectively. When this problem occurs, you need to schedule an appointment with an overhead door professional that will examine and repair the torsion spring system.
- Bent or Broken Tracks: Most commercial doors run on metal tracks, which guide the door as it lifts and closes. If these tracks become misaligned, warped, or damaged, the door will not open or close all the way. A professional overhead door technician can straighten or repair the track.
- Worn or Dented Sections: It is common for overhead doors to succumb to everyday wear and tear. Because your overhead door is part of an interconnected system, you need to repair or replace dented or damaged sections immediately. If not, the problem can worsen and you may have to call a technician to replace the entire door.
- Malfunctioning Opener: Rusted or damaged rollers can create extra friction, tricking the garage door opener into stopping prematurely. If you detect rust on your rollers, you may be due for a garage door repair.
- Power Problems: If you have an automatic overhead door, it needs a strong power supply to work. A professional can help determine whether your power supply is appropriate and what to do to enhance its functionality.
- Damaged Rollers: Garage door rollers usually wear down because of everyday wear and tear. Additionally, dirt and debris can gather on the rollers, preventing them from functioning properly. If your garage door rollers are damaged, an overhead door technician can replace the rollers and get your commercial door working again.
- Worn-Out Cables and Hinges: Garage door systems — especially extension and torsion spring systems, depend on multiple cables to function effectively. For example, torsion spring cables attach to brackets at the bottom of your door and cable drums at the end of the door’s torsion spring. Moreover, safety cables are installed in extension spring systems to prevent broken garage door springs from wobbling around the door. It does not matter what cables your commercial garage door uses; just like torsion springs, they will have to be replaced regularly.
- Misaligned panels, doors, or hardware: If the face of your commercial garage door is damaged, you need not fret as you can replace the damaged panel or section of the door. Usually, the replacement of a defective panel is all that is needed and it can prevent your business from having to replace the entire garage door in the future.
- Improper Alignment: As stated above, most commercial garage doors run on metal tracks and when these tracks fall out of alignment or become damaged, they can prevent the commercial garage door from functioning properly. At times, misalignment calls for the replacement of the entire garage door system. Other times, a simple adjustment of the tracks will do the trick.
- Weatherproof Sealants that need to be replaced: Weatherproof sealants protect your garage from damaging leaks, mold, and dry rot. Because sealants do not last forever, you need to replace them every few years to guarantee safety from outside elements such as debris, dust, and dirt.
In the lifetime of a commercial overhead door, you will probably experience one of these issues. If you notice any of these signs, you can rest easy knowing that Powell Garage Doors can help. Our skilled and experienced technicians are committed to providing you with premium repair services and ensuring that overhead door issues do not interfere with your business operation. Contact us today for a free quote. We can have your damaged cables fixed and your commercial garage door repaired or replaced within the shortest time possible.
How Long Does a Commercial Garage Door Last?
Most commercial garage doors last between 15 to 30 years; however, it depends on you, the door, and the environment. The lifespan of a garage door is determined by various factors, including:
- Usage: The type of torsion springs you use determines how many open and close cycles your overhead door is good for. The more you use your overhead door, the shorter its lifespan will be.
- Price and Quality: If you bought your garage door from a reputable company, it will likely live longer than a second-rate door. Usually, the more you pay for an overhead door, the better the quality.
- Care: If you maintain your commercial overhead door, that is, having an experienced technician inspect your system every few months, replace damaged rollers or springs, and tune up any moving parts.
- Climate: Some global locations experience inclement weather like high winds, heavy rain, sleet, and frigid temperatures. As a result, the overhead door can take some damage that could cut down its lifespan.
At times, it can be difficult to determine whether your overhead door has come to the end of its lifespan. At Powell Garage Doors, we have a team of technicians who can help you prolong the lifespan of your garage door. We handle repairs on all models and makes of commercial overhead doors and provide professional services that are responsive to your needs. Give us a call. We can handle all common commercial garage door problems.
Consult the Commercial Garage Door Professionals in Eagle Mountain
You can complete some aspects of commercial garage door repair all by yourself; however, some repair services should be left to the professionals. We do not recommend fixing defective garage doors on your own because you may not know the ins and outs of a garage door system and could injure yourself or a loved one. Powell Garage Doors is ready to address your garage door issues as quickly and expertly as possible. We show up at your residence with a viable solution to your garage door problem and ensure that your door will run smoothly long after we finish the job.
We have technicians who have years of experience working on commercial overhead doors and providing innovative and reliable solutions to your garage door problems. If your business has a faulty garage door, give us a call today at 801-822-2474 for a free quote on a custom door solution. We serve customers in all locations throughout Utah and are ready to serve you too. Feel free to read through our recent posts on garage doors and check out our different categories, including garage door repair, maintenance, and tips.